Friday, June 23, 2006

Cold Compress and a Cool Head

Tom's fever made it up to 104 fairly quickly tonight. He was sure I was going to have to call an ambulance around 2 am.

Yet, I wondered what the hospital would be able to do for him that I was not capable of doing. Of course, besides give him IV fluids.

So, instead of immediately calling 911, I decide to make some cold compresses for his arm pits and groin. I had made up my mind to take his temperature every 10 minutes. If the mercury (yes - we have an 'old fashion' thermometer) got a hair above 104, I was going to call the paramedics.

Of course, Tom, in his nearly delusional state, kept yelling at me that he was going to get pneumonia from me freezing him out with these ice packs and fans blowing on him. (Seriously, how does anyone get pneumonia when they have a 103.8 fever and the room is 80.6? I was sweating!)

It was quite aggravating to continuously explain to him that he knew, in his right mind, that what I was doing made sense. Also, I kept telling him that after his temperature went down, he'd be thanking me tons for saving him from going to the hospital.

Anyhow, we're on the downward slide now, I hope. Last reading was 101.8.

I know its still high. But, its better than 104!

I guess we'll be going to the doctor tomorrow if they can squeeze us in. This has been going on long enough.

No comments: