Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Home Improvements

I actually got motivated enough to start working on the kitchen floor yesterday.

You wouldn't know it by looking at it though.

When we had purchased the house, we decided to move one of the cabinets out of the way so there would be better access to the master bedroom for Tom (yes, the bedroom is off the kitchen... anyhow). We marveled at the lack of matching vinyl where the cabinet had once set, but decided that easier access was a higher priority than beauty.

(Actually, I think I said, "Eh, whatever. I don't care.")

When we had found the left over flooring the previous owners had left, we thought we were in high cotton. (I don't know if thats the right phrasing, but I liked it.) Patching the unmatching spot on the kitchen floor should be simple enough, right? Heck - they might of even left the perfect piece that would fit that spot where the counter previously set.

But, no. They didn't. In fact, I'm not quite sure how they managed to leave us the pieces they did. Its an amazing puzzle that I didn't want to mess with.

Basically, the pieces that we have (which, actually are large quantities of vinyl) have the pattern going the wrong way. And, by turning the vinyl so the pattern would match, the pieces aren't long enough to use in the spot that we need repaired. I would have to patch two separate squares of vinyl into this area, which I visualize as being very tacky afterwards.

So, not quite sure of what to do, I neatly rolled back up the vinyl, stuck it back in the corner of my kitchen, and decided that maybe we should purchase a rug.

Home improvements might not be my forte...

No comments: