Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Kid Nation

Okay, I admit it.

Being a sucker for reality television, when I first heard about Kid Nation, I kind of shrugged my shoulders and said, "That could be interesting."

I really didn't put any thought into the process of how the show was being made. And, now, with news articles popping up left and right, I've started thinking about it.

I don't think we should think that CBS is the only devil in this situation. They should be in some form of legal trouble, I believe. But, the parents signed contracts for their children to spend 40 days and nights in this set-up. (The kids are only 8 - 15 years old.)

If I had a child, especially after watching reality shows like Survivor, I'd be asking some serious questions before even considering signing a contract. All I can assume is that the money was good... (I haven't researched the show that much, honestly.)

There are legal issues here that need to be dealt with before another reality show like this is brought along.

For example, CBS does claim that they did not violate Child Labor Laws because the children were 'participating' not 'working'. I call BS. If the kids are getting monetary reimbursement for 'participating', I believe that is the basic definition for 'working'.

And to think, the show hasn't even premiered yet!

Oh, and honestly, I think I'm still going to tune in. I've got to make sure I don't change my opinion...

;)

No comments: